Breaking News
More () »

Man killed in police shooting after allegedly holding knife to infant

The suspect later died at the hospital and the infant is uninjured, according to Spokane police.

SPOKANE, Wash. — A man was killed in a shooting incident with police after he allegedly held a knife to an infant at a Spokane residence on Monday afternoon.

According to Spokane Police Chief Craig Meidl, the Spokane Police Department (SPD) received a call from a hysterical woman at 12:48 p.m. The woman reportedly told police that her baby was dead, but a language barrier made it difficult for police to obtain substantial information.

When officers arrived at a house on the 2400 block of East Desmet Avenue,  police attempted to get information from the woman who made the call but said the language barrier still made it difficult to get information. Once officers were at the front door of the house, they said a man was holding a knife to an infant. 

According to an affidavit for a search warrant, officers tried to deescalate the situation but the man ultimately went upstairs with the infant. Responding officers said they believed the man might attempt to light a kerosene can and cause an explosion.

Officers went inside the house and engaged with the man at the top of the stairs. During the encounter, Meidl said shots were fired by two police officers.

After shots were fired, Meidl said police immediately began conducting first aid on the suspect until he was transported to a nearby hospital. According to Meidl, the man later died at the hospital. 

The infant involved in the incident was uninjured, according to police.

While officers were on their way to the residence, Meidl said they were informed of a possible domestic violence situation. Police do not know the relationship between the baby, woman and the suspect.

Meidl said it is not known if drugs or alcohol were a factor in this incident.

A Spokane Independent Investigation Response (SIIR) investigation into the incident is underway at this time, according to police. The two officers involved, Corporal Brandon Lynch and Officer Corrigan Mohondro, have been placed on administrative leave.

This is an ongoing investigation. All information is preliminary and subject to change. Check back for updates.