BONNER COUNTY, Idaho — On Sunday, June 25, two young girls were hospitalized with severe carbon monoxide poisoning after they were found unconscious in the water on Priest Lake.
According to a statement from the Bonner County Sheriff's Office, the girls, along with several other children, were at the rear of a family member's boat when they were poisoned. The two girls, one 13 and the other 11, were wearing flotation devices, which police say significantly contributed to their survival after losing consciousness.
The sheriff's office says the 13-year-old girl has been treated and released from Newport Hospital. The 11-year-old is still receiving treatment at Sacred Heart.
Deputies say boaters should be aware of the potential dangers posed by a vessel's exhaust system and that it is unlawful for passengers to stand or sit on the swim step or rear deck of the boat while the engine is running.
The sheriff's office thanked bystanders and those who brought medical attention to the two girls.
HOW TO ADD THE KREM+ APP TO YOUR STREAMING DEVICE
ROKU: add the channel from the ROKU store or by searching for KREM in the Channel Store.
Fire TV: search for "KREM" to find the free app to add to your account. Another option for Fire TV is to have the app delivered directly to your Fire TV through Amazon.
To report a typo or grammatical error, please email email@example.com.