Asian Beef Skewers
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons sherry
- ¼ C soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon BBQ sauce
- 2 green onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger root
- 1 ½ pound flank steak
In a small bowl, mix together hoisin sauce, sherry, soy sauce, barbeque sauce, green onions, garlic, and ginger.
Cut flank steak across grain on a diagonal into 1/4-inch slices. Place slices in a 1-gallon resealable plastic bag. Pour hoisin sauce mixture over slices, and mix well. Refrigerate 2 hours, or overnight.
Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat. Discard marinade, and thread steak on skewers.
Cauliflower Fried Rice
This Chinese-style cauliflower fried rice is a healthy, low-carb dish that’s hearty enough to serve as a main course.
- Vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup chopped scallions, light and green parts separated (you'll need 5-6 scallions)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- One 2-lb head cauliflower (or 2 pounds ready to cook' cauliflower)
- 4-5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup frozen mixed veggies
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- We are using 'ready to cook' cauliflower rice
- Heat 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil in a large (10 or 12-inch) nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the eggs and a pinch of salt and scramble until the eggs are cooked. Transfer to a small plate and set aside. Wipe the pan clean.
- Add 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil to the pan and set over medium heat. Add the light scallions and garlic cook, stirring often, until softened but not browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the grated cauliflower, 4 tablespoons of the soy sauce and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring often, for about 3 minutes. Add mixed veggies and continue cooking until the cauliflower "rice" is tender-crisp and the vegetables are warmed through, a few minutes. Stir in the rice vinegar, sesame oil, dark green scallions and eggs. Taste and adjust seasoning (adding the remaining tablespoon of soy sauce if necessary). Serve hot.