ROCHESTER, N.Y. — The 3-year-old boy who fell into a fast food chain's grease trap and died was the son of an employee.
The child died when he tumbled through a plastic cover and into an underground grease collection tank just 6 feet behind a Tim Hortons restaurant Monday morning in Rochester, N.Y.
The Rochester Democrat & Chronicle said witnesses were already trying CPR by the time an ambulance arrived. But, doctors pronounced him dead at the hospital.
Police Investigator Francis Camp told CNN the 3-year-old's mom brought the boy to work because she could not find child care that day. Authorities said no charges would be filed against the mother.
"What occurred [Monday] was a tragedy and on behalf of the Tim Hortons family, we offer our deepest condolences to the family and friends of the young boy who passed away," a Tim Hortons spokesperson told CNN. "Tim Hortons is fully cooperating with authorities. As there is an ongoing police investigation, we have no further comment at this time."
Grease traps are designed to keep used oil and grease out of sewer systems.
Alabama lawmakers passed legislation requiring more secure covers after a 3-year-old girl died in a 6-foot-deep grease trap in Auburn, Alabama, in October 2017.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Video shows final moments of doomed flight from Addison's airport
- 2 people killed, dozens injured after carnival ride suddenly snaps in half
- Man kidnapped, killed woman found in truck in Dollar Tree parking lot: deputies
- 'New' type of skimmer found inside gas pump in Clearwater
- Florida 'Doomsday prepper' accused of abusing adopted twins
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.