LIBERTY LAKE, Wash. — Spokane Valley Fire Department units responded to a natural gas leak in Liberty Lake on E. Country Vista Drive on Monday afternoon which caused the Legacy Villa Apartments and some surrounding businesses to evacuate.
As of 6:30 pm, all but 12 units were cleared for reoccupation, Spokane Valley Police Department said. These residents will not be able to return for 24 hours while Avista works to pull the trapped natural gas out of the surrounding ground.
One lane of traffic on E. Country Vista Drive remain closed.
A contractor digging on the south side of the roadway hit a natural gas line which emitted an odor and hissing, Spokane Valley Fire reported.
Kids from Central Valley School District who live in the evacuated complex were not dropped off at home, but returned back to school.
After the gas leak was contained, firefighters worked with Avista crews to check each of the evacuated apartments for detectable levels of natural gas before allowing residents to return.
Spokane Valley Fire says they were impressed with how quickly the school district acted to come up with a plan to keep the kids safe.
A total of 12 apparatus, command and support vehicles responded to the scene, including Spokane County Fire District 8 and the Liberty Lake Police Department for traffic control, SVPD said.
No injuries have been reported.