Breaking News
More () »

Daughter of Patrick Frazee, Kelsey Berreth to remain in maternal grandparents' custody

Kelsey Berreth went missing on Nov. 22. Patrick Frazee is facing a first-degree murder charge related to her disappearance.

TELLER COUNTY, Colo. — The 1-year-old child of a missing Colorado mother and the man suspected in her death will remain in the custody of her maternal grandparents, according to Colorado Courts spokesperson Rob McCallum. 

This decision comes after a custody hearing in Teller County court on Thursday morning. Patrick Frazee, the fiance of missing Colorado mother Kelsey Berreth, appeared at that hearing and was wearing a ballistic vest. 

Berreth, 29, hasn't been seen since she was at a Safeway in Woodland Park on Nov. 22. She is believed dead. She wasn't reported missing until 10 days later on Dec. 2, when Berreth's mother said she was having a difficult time getting ahold of her daughter.

On Dec. 27, the court ordered Frazee and Berreth's 1-year-old daughter to remain with her maternal grandparents and child protective services.This means no big change came out of Thursday's hearing. 

RELATED: Kelsey Berreth case: A timeline of events so far

Frazee is in the Teller County jail, being held on allegations of first-degree murder and solicitation to commit first-degree murder related to Berreth's disappearance. Her body has not been recovered, but Woodland Park Police Chief Miles De Young said investigators believe she was killed inside her home in town. Frazee told police that on the day Berreth disappeared, the pair exchanged their daughter. He was taken into custody in late December.

PREVIOUSLY | Daughter of Kelsey Berreth, Patrick Frazee to remain with maternal grandparents

Berreth’s phone pinged in Gooding, Idaho on Nov. 25. That same day, investigators said her employer received a text from her number saying she wouldn’t be at work for the next week.

An Idaho nurse has also been arrested in the case. Krystal Kenney, 32, faces one count of tampering with physical evidence, according to a complaint filed in Teller County court. 

The complaint says Kenney, between Nov. 24, 2018, and Nov. 25, 2018, "unlawfully and feloniously destroyed, mutilated, concealed, removed or altered physical evidence with intent to impair its verity or availability in the pending or prospective official proceeding."

Kenney is slated to appear in court on Friday morning. A camera will be allowed in the courtroom and 9NEWS will cover it throughout the day. 

RELATED | Idaho nurse investigated in disappearance of Kelsey Berreth faces one count of tampering with evidence

SUGGESTED VIDEOS | Kelsey Berreth case 

Before You Leave, Check This Out