SPOKANE, Wash. — Just after 12:30 a.m. Friday morning, chaos erupted at Camp Hope.
Responding officers saw a tent fully engulfed in flames and propane tanks shooting up into the air. Two people who were in the tent when the explosion occurred were treated by paramedics. One woman suffered significant burns. Both were taken to the hospital.
The Spokane Fire Department quickly put out the flames and determined the fire was accidental. Officials say two victims were transfilling propane tanks in the encolsed tent, near a propane heater. The leaking propane exploded.
Julie Garcia of Jewels Helping Hands went on Facebook, saying the camper who started the fire did so on accident, and has been removed from the camp to receive better mental health services. Garcia says the camper can return when he is no longer a safety risk to others.
Back in November, a trailer caught fire at the camp. A dog was inside, but made it out safely. No one was hurt.
Camp Hope swelled to an estimated 600 plus people over the summer. The Washington Department of Transportation says it's now down to 65.
Spokane police say this incident could have been far worse and that all residents were placed in danger.
KREM ON SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube
DOWNLOAD THE KREM SMARTPHONE APP
DOWNLOAD FOR IPHONE HERE | DOWNLOAD FOR ANDROID HERE
HOW TO ADD THE KREM+ APP TO YOUR STREAMING DEVICE
ROKU: add the channel from the ROKU store or by searching for KREM in the Channel Store.
Fire TV: search for "KREM" to find the free app to add to your account. Another option for Fire TV is to have the app delivered directly to your Fire TV through Amazon.
To report a typo or grammatical error, please email email@example.com.