We want to make you aware of an incident that occurred on campus on Monday, July 25, 2011. At approximately 9:50am, a female student was approached by a man with a knife; she was abducted, taken off campus and allegedly assaulted. She then reported this crime to the police, who contacted BBCC later in the day. The victim is now reportedly physically safe and is cooperating with law enforcement in order to help apprehend the assailant. This is all the detail that we know about the incident at this time.
We have taken some immediate steps in response to this incident:
· The Grant County Sheriff’s Office is increasing patrols of campus
· We are assigning some BBCC security personnel to make frequent sweeps through the parking lots and other areas
· We are cooperating with the ongoing investigation in the hope that the perpetrator will be caught quickly.
We are asking all of you to be extra-vigilant as you go about your business on campus. Here are a couple of steps that BBCC employees can take to increase security:
· Keep an eye out for any suspicious activity and don’t hesitate to report anything you notice
· Use a “buddy system”—travel in pairs or groups rather than alone, whenever possible. If you need someone to walk out to the parking lot with you, call security or make arrangements with other employees
· Keep an extra eye out on students and encourage them to stick together.
As we get more information from the police, we will keep you updated.
Director of Public Information
Big Bend Community College