Many tenants lose everything in Sinto Apartment fire

Print
Email
|

by WHITNEY WARD & KREM.com

KREM.com

Posted on June 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Updated Tuesday, Jun 18 at 11:01 AM

SPOKANE, Wash. -- A fire at Geno's Pizza that spread to the Sinto Apartments near Gonzaga University left several tenants homeless with no possessions.

"Years of stuff. . . ." said Tim Anderson, a tenant. "It's all gone."

Anderson is a seven-year veteran of the U.S. Army. He lost everything in the blaze on Saturday, June 15 except for the clothes he was wearing and his service dog. Gas funneled the fire directly into his apartment. The Red Cross has put him up in a hotel for three days.

Apartment units toward the front of the building had mostly smoke and water damage. But several apartments near the back were completely charred.

"It all burned up," Anderson said. "It was on the walls in my living room. It's what made it home. So . . . I guess I'm on the street. I just don't know what to do. I need help!"

"The flames were shooting through the window. It exploded the window," said Brian Schaeffer of the Spokane Fire Department. "Fire had melted the gas meter. We had free-flowing natural gas that was on fire, and ballooning between both of these buildings."

The Spokane Neighborhood Action Program (SNAP) is working to find new apartments for the 16 tenants displaced by the fire.

The Spokane Community Warehouse on East Trent is accepting donations for the victims of the fire. They are open 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday. 

Print
Email
|