SPARKS, Nev. -- Police say two were killed, and two boys were hospitalized in a shooting incident at Sparks Middle School shooting in Nevada.
They said the school is "all clear" and the suspect is "down," but offered no further details. The shooting happened on the school's campus, but outside the school building itself, according to police.
Rocky Triplett, Commander of the Sparks Police Department, told CBS News: "Two subjects are deceased and two juvenile victims have been transported to a local hospital. We believe the subject responsible is deceased but that is not confirmed. The school has been cleared. We don't have any other confirmed specifics at this time."
A Sparks police dispatcher says the first call for the incident came in at 7:16 a.m. Monday.
The Reno Gazette-Journal reported initially that a 12-year-old boy was shot as classes were starting, and the school had been placed on lockdown. They also reported that Angela Rambo, spokeswoman for Renown Regional Hospital, said they have received two male patients, both minors, and both are in critical condition.
CBS affiliate KTVN in Reno confirmed at least two patients have been transferred from the scene.
Washoe County School District spokesman Charles Rahn says the middle school and next door Agnes Risley Elementary School have been evacuated to Sparks High School. Rahn said the middle and elementary schools will be closed Monday.
Gov. Brian Sandoval issued a statement after hearing about the shooting.
"I was deeply saddened to learn of the horrific shooting at Sparks Middle School this morning. My administration is receiving regular updates and the Nevada Highway Patrol is assisting at the scene," he said. Sandoval extended his thoughts and prayers to those affected.