SPOKANE, Wash. -- Nobody was hurt after a home caught fire on Spokane’s lower South Hill Thursday morning.
Smoke was visible but no flames were showing when fire crews arrived at the two-story house near West 14th Avenue and South Cedar Street. Firefighters quickly put the fire out.
Firefighters said the home's single occupant made it out of the house safely.
Crews were able to contain the damage to one room on the second floor, which prevented the fire from spreading to the ceiling and roof areas.
The homeowner said the house had been in his family for 95 years. The fire Thursday was the second fire in the home’s master bedroom, according to the man. The first was started by the man’s mother, who was playing with matches. Firefighters Thursday ended up tearing out replacement wood put in after that fire years ago.
The homeowner declined assistance from the Red Cross. Firefighters told him it would be safe to re-enter the home after crews cleaned up.
“I’ll just have to move bedrooms,” the man said.
Firefighters blocked off 14th Avenue from Cedar to Walnut while crews finished clearing the scene.
Investigators said the fire appeared to be accidental and related to smoking materials.
The blaze caused an estimated $20,000 in damages.