PULLMAN -- New Washington State University football coach Mike Leach welcomed 23 new players on National Letter of Intent Signing Day on Wednesday.
“Our staff did a tremendous job of putting together this class,” said Leach. “We looked for three things in particular: we needed offensive linemen, we needed defensive linemen and we looked for guys that were good football players.”
Leach added, “It was the same as when I selected our staff. If you look at our staff every one of them on some level is in the habit of winning. With regard to these football players we tried to select guys that were the same. Not how big is he? How fast is he? How strong is he? Can he play football is the first question we asked.”
Here is a list of the players who are officially heading to WSU for the 2012 season:
- Taylor Taliulu, 5-11, 175lb, Safety, Aiea, Hawaii
- Theron West, 5-8, 170lb, RB, Compton, Calif.
- B.J. Salmonson, 6-5, 285lb, OL, Everson, Wash.
- Sam Jones, 6-6, 295lb, OL, Bear, Del.
- Jeremiah Allison, 6-1, 210lb, LB, Los Angeles, Calif.
- Sam Flor, 6-4, 285lb, OL, Seattle, Wash.
- Alex Jackson, 5-10, 175lb, WR, Culver City, Calif.
- Ioane Gauta, 6-3, 300lb, Nose Tackle, Anaheim, Calif.
- Khalil Pettway, 6-4, 205 lb, OLB, Culver City, Calif.
- Gabriel Marks, 5-11, 175, WR, Los Angeles, Calif.
- Brett Bartolone, 5-10, 180lb, WR, La Habra, Calif.
- Kache Palacio, 6-2, 225lb, LB, Gardena, Calif.
- David Bucannon, 6-2, 180lb, Safety, Fairfield, Calif.
- Jacob Tuivaiave, 6-4, 250 lb, OLB, Tacoma, Wash.
- Robert Lewis, 5-10, 160lb, WR, South Gate, Calif.
- Niu Sale, 6-4, 315 lb, OL, Los Alamitos, Calif.,
- Eduardo Middleton, 6-5, 290 lb, OL, Oceanside, Calif.
- Keith Ewing, 6-2, 215 lb, OLB, Bellaire, Texas
- Austin Apodaca, 6-3, 185lb QB, Longmont, Colo.
- Pierson Villarrubia, 6-4, 275 lb, OL, Mandeville, La.
- Feddie Davey, 5-11, 190lb, Safety, Miami, Fla.
- Destiny Vaeao, 6-3, 255lb, DE, Pago Pago, American Samoa
For much more on all of these players, including high school game highlights, check out Washington State's Signing Day Central.