With March Madness a week away, here at KREM2, we wanted to keep you updated with the conference tournaments. The only team in our area that has secured an 'at-large' bid into the NCAA tournament is the Gonzaga men's basketball team. The Bulldogs are simply fighting for seeding right now. As for everyone else, it's either win or you're not in.
WCC Men's Tournament
- No. 1 Gonzaga (32-1, 19-1) beats Saint Mary's, 74-56 to claim the WCC championshisp
- This is Gonzaga's third win against Saint Mary's this season. The Gaels are a top-25 team.
- This is Gonzaga's 16th conference title and 15th championship in 19 years.
- The Bulldogs have won the last five WCC titles.
- Nigel Williams-Goss was named the tournament's 'Most Outstanding Player.'
- Gonzaga is now hoping to earn its second-ever No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament.
WCC Women's Tournament
- No. 1 Gonzaga (26-6, 16-4) beats Saint Mary's, 86-75, to advance to the NCAA Tournament.
- Gonzaga's Jill Barta dropped a WCC tournament record of 37 points in the contest. Barta was named the tournament's 'Most Outstanding Player.'
- Gonzaga is, now, 2-5 when giving up more than 70 points in a contest. Both wins game against Saint Mary's.
- The Bulldogs win their first WCC title since 2014. It's the seventh championship in 11 years.
- This is Lisa Fortier's first WCC title as head coach.
PAC-12 Men's Tournament
- No. 10 Washington State (13-18, 6-13) loses to Colorado, 73-63
- The Cougs led 41-27 at halftime just to get outscored, 46-22, in the second half.
- Washington State is eliminated from the tournament
- Four of Washington State's top five scorers will not return next season (Josh Hawkinson, Ike Iroegbu, Conor Clifford and Charles Callison)
- The Cougs have not won a PAC-12 tournament game since 2009.
- Washington (9-22, 2-17) loses to USC, 78-73.
- UW is eliminated from the tournament.
- The Huskies have lost a program record 13 straight games.
- UW freshman Markelle Fultz did not play in the PAC-12 tournament and is expected to leave for the NBA Draft.
Big Sky Men's Tournament
- Eastern Washington (22-11, 14-6) loses to Weber State in the semifinals, 80-72.
- Idaho (18-13, 13-7) loses to North Dakota in the semifinals, 69-64.
- Wiley and Bliznyuk combined for 56 points in the semifinals game against the Wildcats.
- Vic Sanders dropped a game-high 20 points in the loss to North Dakota.
- EWU and Idaho should receive an invitation to a postseason tournament.
Big Sky Women's Tournament
- No. 4 Eastern Washington (18-13, 13-7) loses to No. 1 Montana State, 61-59, in the semifinals.
- EWU has been eliminated from tournament play.
- Delaney Hodgins led all scorers with 18 points in the semifinals loss.
- The Bobcats have beaten the Eags three times this season.
- Eastern Washington will have to wait another year to try and earn its first-ever Big Sky championship (earned a conference title back in 1987 as a member of the Mountain West Athletic Conference).
- Idaho (17-14, 12-8) has been eliminated from tournament play.
© 2017 KREM-TV