Former New England Patriots star Aaron Hernandez was named as the shooter Thursday in connection with a July, 2012 shooting that left two men dead in Boston, and one more injured.
The two new indictments of Hernandez, who is already in jail and facing charges of murder in the 2013 death of 27-year-old Odin Lloyd in North Attleborough, Mass., was confirmed by Boston police spokeswoman Neva Coakley to USA TODAY Sports Thursday.
The two men in the July 16, 2012 incident, Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado, were shot as they sat in a car at a stop light in Boston's South End.
Hernandez has pleaded not guilty to murder in the Lloyd case. He was arrested and charged last June 26 and is being held without bail after Lloyd's body was found near his North Attleborough home June 17.
The Suffolk District Attorney will hold an 11:30 ET news conference to discuss further details of the double slaying.
Boston police wrote in an affidavit last year there is probable cause to believe that Hernandez was driving a vehicle used in the 2012 double shooting and "may have been the shooter." The affidavit was filed as police sought to search an SUV involved in the shooting and found at Hernandez's uncle's home in Bristol, Conn.
The SUV was covered in dust and cobwebs and had a dead battery, leading police to believe it had remained untouched in the garage for close to a year, according to the court document.
Survivor Aquilino Freire told police an SUV pulled up next to them while they were stopped, and he saw someone in the SUV's back seat laughing, according to the affidavit. Then, several gunshots were fired from the rear passenger seat into the car, Freire told police. Two other people in the car ran away, Freire said.
Contributing: The Associated Press