Yemen's army, southern tribesmen clash; 8 killed

Print
Email
|

Associated Press

Posted on December 30, 2013 at 3:03 AM

Updated Monday, Dec 30 at 3:04 AM

SANAA, Yemen (AP) — A Yemeni military official says fighting in the country's south between troops and tribesmen angry over a deadly shelling last week has killed eight people — five troops and three tribesmen.

The official says tribesmen belonging to a southern secessionist movement stormed the military barracks in the province of Lahj on Monday.

The official says that along with the eight killed, four soldiers are missing. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to media.

Parts of southern Yemen, where the secessionist movement is strong, have been hit by unrest recently. On Friday, shells landed near a funeral tent in the southern province of Dali, adjacent to Lahj, killing 19 people.

South Yemen was an independent state until unification with the north in 1990.

Print
Email
|