NEIBA, Dominican Republic (AP) — A specialist in migration issues says authorities in the Dominican Republic have rounded up 88 more people and sent them to Haiti.
Tobias Metzner of the International Organization for Migration says Dominican troops took the Haitians and others of Haitian descent to the border Tuesday night. He says they were likely coerced into leaving.
That brings the week's total number of people who have been deported or wanted to leave the Dominican Republic to 357 since an outbreak of violence on the border.
An elderly Dominican couple was slain last week during an apparent burglary near the town of Neiba, and a mob of Dominicans retaliated by killing a Haitian man.