Mozambique plans for vote despite boycott threat

Print
Email
|

Associated Press

Posted on August 20, 2013 at 3:32 AM

Updated Tuesday, Aug 20 at 3:33 AM

MAPUTO, Mozambique (AP) — The Mozambican government says it plans to stick to a schedule for elections later this year and in 2014 even though the main opposition party warns it will boycott the process.

Jose Pacheco, the government's head of negotiations with the opposition, said Monday that elections will be held whether or not the opposition Renamo group participates. Municipal elections are scheduled for Nov. 20, and presidential and parliamentary elections are to be held on Oct. 15 next year.

The governing Frelimo party and Renamo disagree over the composition of the state elections panel amid fears that a two-decade peace between the two sides is fraying. Earlier this year, deadly clashes broke out between Renamo fighters and security forces in the central Sofala province.

Print
Email
|