Top Libyan official: Benghazi explosion accident

Print
Email
|

Associated Press

Posted on May 19, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Updated Sunday, May 19 at 11:05 PM

TRIPOLI, Libya (AP) — Libya's deputy prime minister says an investigation has indicated that a deadly explosion in Benghazi last week was an accident and not an attack.

Awd el-Buraasi told reporters in Tripoli Sunday that military officials do not believe that the blast in a busy area of Benghazi was planned. Three people were killed in the incident.

Benghazi, where Libya's 2011 revolution that ousted Moammar Gadhafi began, has suffered a series of assassinations and attacks on security and diplomatic missions over the past year, including the attack on the U.S. Consulate that killed the ambassador and three others.

El-Buraasi says a special command center has been set up there to oversee security. Notably absent from the operation are militias that provide security in the absence of a strong military or police force.

Print
Email
|