In honor of Father's Day, here are ten facts you might not have known.
1) Father’s Day originated in Spokane, Washington after a young woman, Sonora Smart Dodd, decided she wanted to dedicate a day for her father. He was a single father of six, after her mother passed away.
2) According to Hallmark, Father's Day is the fourth-largest card-sending occasion with 72 million cards given every year.
3) About 20 percent of Father's Day cards are bought for husbands.
4) On Father's Day in Germany, men drink all day at beer gardens and eat from “father’s only” food carts.
5) Thailand celebrates Father’s Day December 5.
6) The only father-daughter collaboration to hit the top spot on the Billboard pop music chart was the 1967 hit single "Something Stupid" by Frank & Nancy Sinatra.
7) The top three gifts for Father’s Day are: 3) clothing 2) electronic gadgets 1) a special outing like a round of golf, dinner, or a sporting event
8) The U.S. Census Bureau estimates there were 70.1 million fathers in the United States in 2008.
9) The top 3 most popular things to toss on the BBQ this Father’s Day are: ribs, hotdogs, and steaks.
10) President Lyndon B. Johnson first proclaimed the third Saturday in June as Father’s Day in 1966.
© 2017 KREM-TV