OLYMPIA, Wash. - Family, friends and guests on Sunday gathered at the Capitol Rotunda to honor seven firefighters who died in the line of duty.
This year's ceremony recognized:
- Firefighter J. Douglas Waller, South King Fire and Rescue; October 31, 2006
- Deputy Chief Jesse Youngs, Seattle Fire Department; October 22, 2010
- Firefighter Matthew Durham, Woodinville Fire and Rescue; December 30, 2010
- Firefighter Jeffrey Brit, Seattle Fire Department; May 6, 2011
- Battalion Chief Garet Rasmussen, Chelan County Fire District #1; June 12, 2011
- Fire Chief Mathew Hadaller, Lewis County Fire District #3; June 28, 2011
- Engineer George Sly, Spokane Valley Fire Department; November 22, 2011
Firefighter J. Douglas Waller died in 2006, but his death has only recently been acknowledged as being job related by the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries.
Waller's name has also been added to the International Association of Fire Fighters Fallen Firefighter Memorial in Colorado Springs, Colo.