Boeing CEO: 'We will consider other alternatives'

Print
Email
|

by CHRIS DANIELS / KING 5 News

KREM.com

Posted on November 13, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Updated Wednesday, Nov 13 at 4:20 PM

MISSOULA, Mont. -- Boeing's CEO opened the door Wednesday for the company to go elsewhere if Machinists reject an 8-year labor deal to build the 777X.

Speaking at a lecture at the University of Montana, Jim McNerney said, "we will consider other alternatives if the vote goes negatively."

McNerney wouldn't elaborate on other possible sites, but did say, "There are options for us to look at and we will evaluate them and decide.  I'm not prepared to say we're moving in one direction or another," adding, "Where and how we build it will be decided upon in the next few months."

Raw: Boeing CEO talks about 777x vote, possible move

In an exclusive interview with KING 5, McNerney was pressed on the issue, and while he wouldn't say it was a "take it or leave it" deal said, "If they turn it down tonight, then we'll figure out what to do next."

McNerney discounted Machinists claims about pension and pay cuts.

"I think the characterization of the pension, once you get into the numbers we are changing the structure of the pension, but it remains a leading pension plan by any analysis," he said.

When the results of the vote are announced, you can get an alert right to your phone from KING 5 News. Sign up for our Breaking News text alerts.  You can also get an alert notification on your iPhone or iPad by downloading the KING 5 App. (Sorry, Android users. Those devices don't have that same service, but you can still sign up for text alerts.)

Print
Email
|