BATTLE GROUND, Wash. – Police made an arrest in connection with a series of threats that closed six schools in Battle Ground Wednesday.
Around 3:30 p.m., police arrested a 13-year-old male Chief Umtuch Middle School student, whom they did not name.
Investigators said the suspect made physical threats online with the possibility of using explosives Tuesday, which prompted police to sweep through the schools earlier in the day Wednesday.
Police said they did not believe the threats were a joke and consulted the FBI in identifying the teen.
The suspect's computer was seized and officers determined he did not possess the means to carry out any of the threats he made, said Sgt. Aaron Kanooth with Battle Ground police.
Police do not believe any other suspects were involved. The teen was released to the custody of his parents who cooperated with investigators, Kanooth said. The case will be forwarded to the Clark County Juvenile Prosecutor for charges of felony harassment.
First threat was about suicide
Officials first received a suicide threat with no name on it during a curriculum night. After a call went out to parents, warning them of the threat, a second more concerning online note was received by school officials, according to Chief Umtuch Principal David Cresap.
The second note threatened a specific teacher and mentioned Chief Umtuch Middle School, police said.
"The decision to cancel class was based on the level of specificity of the date, location and the victim," Cresap said.
Police did a thorough, physical sweep of Chief Umtuch along with Captain Strong Primary, Summit View Middle, CAM Academy, Battle Ground High, and the Firm Foundation Christian private school.
"It's frightening. It makes you want to home school," one parent told KGW.
District officials said the schools will be back open Thursday.