Weeding with torch leads to Beaverton fire

Weeding with torch leads to Beaverton fire

Credit: Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue

Weeding with torch leads to Beaverton fire

Print
Email
|

by JEFF THOMPSON, KGW Staff

KREM.com

Posted on July 8, 2013 at 4:03 PM

BEAVERTON, Ore. -- A home in Beaverton caught fire while its tenant was using a propane torch to kill weeds around it, investigators said.

Fire crews were called just after 7:30 p.m. Sunday to the report of a house fire at 16030 SW Farmington Road, according to Piseth Pich of Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue.

"The most probable cause of the fire is a propane torch used by the resident to burn weeds around the exterior of the home," Pich said. "The resident stated that, although he was also wetting down the area with a garden hose, the fire suddenly spread to vegetation next to the home and then ignited the home's exterior cedar siding."

The fire quickly spread to the roof. About 35 firefighters at the scene brought it under control within 30 minutes.

Crews stayed on the scene to make sure the cedar shake tiles on the roof did not reignite.

There were no reports of injuries.

Another man using a propane torch to weed his yard started a fire in Sherwood last month.

Related: Man using torch to kill weeds catches home on fire

 

Print
Email
|