Nine poodles rescued from burning home adopted out



Posted on November 27, 2012 at 9:54 AM

RAYMOND, Wash. - Nine toy poodles rescued from a burning home in Raymond last week have new homes.

All of the rescued dogs were adopted within the first hours they were made available.

"He's going to get spoiled," said Lainey Smith, who drove two hours from Kent to pick up "Snowball" in Raymond Monday afternoon.

Last Tuesday firefighters pulled 11 dogs out of a house on Kelsey Street.

The owners were not home when the fire started after something had been left burning on the stove.

Investigators said the poodles were being bred inside the home.

One of the dogs died in the fire, but 10 survived. The owners kept one, and gave the rest up for adoption.

A number of the dogs had to be resuscitated by paramedics.

"That's the satisfaction part of the job," said Casey Clifton, an EMT/Firefighter with the Raymond Fire Department.

Clifton and a volunteer paramedic used infant respirators to give the dogs oxygen in the back of an ambulance.

Rehabilitating and caring for the poodles cost the animal-rights organization "Harbor Association of Volunteers for Animals" about $3000.

If you would like to help the charity or find out about other animals up for adoption, go to HAVA's website at