Dad of Nevada school shooter hit son in 2012

Print
Email
|

Associated Press

Posted on November 7, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Updated Thursday, Nov 7 at 12:07 PM

SPARKS, Nev. (AP) — The father of the Nevada middle school shooter pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor child abuse charge last year. The father self-reported to school counselors that his son struck him and he hit the child back, blackening the boy's eye.

Deputy Washoe County District Attorney John Helzer said Thursday that Jose Reyes originally was charged with a felony after he hit his then 10-year-old son, Jose, in the nose and face in January 2012.

But Helzer says he supported dropping the charge to a misdemeanor because Reyes cooperated fully with law officers.

KOLO-TV first reported on the arrest.

Police are investigating whether Reyes may have illegally allowed his son access to the handgun the boy used to kill a teacher and wound two classmates before committing suicide last month.

Print
Email
|