Bremerton man throws mattress on fire out window

Print
Email
|

Associated Press

Posted on December 3, 2012 at 9:03 AM

BREMERTON, Wash. (AP) — A former volunteer firefighter had to act quickly when a mattress caught fire inside his Bremerton apartment.

So he threw the queen-size mattress out a window.

Bremerton Fire Department acting battalion chief John Payne says children had turned on the heater that was near the mattress, despite being told not to by their parents Saturday afternoon.

Payne says smoke alarms went off and the father, who said he was a former volunteer firefighter, threw the queen-sized mattress out the window of their second-floor apartment unit.

The Kitsap Sun reports (http://bit.ly/VeJCpP) that the mattress was no longer on fire by the time firefighters arrived.

Print
Email
|