Ohio to review case after boy's malnutrition death

Print
Email
|

Associated Press

Posted on November 15, 2012 at 6:33 AM

Updated Thursday, Nov 15 at 6:37 AM

VERMILION, Ohio (AP) — An Ohio agency plans to investigate social workers' previous interactions with a family whose youngest son died of malnutrition last week.

An Ohio Department of Job and Family Services spokesman tells the Sandusky Register (http://bit.ly/SrTCeL ) the review will look at whether the death was a preventable tragedy and whether children's services workers complied with state and federal regulations.

The head of Erie County Job and Family Services has said the children in the family were receiving proper care when court oversight and the agency's year of supervision ended in 2009.

No charges have been filed in the death of the 18-month-old boy, but six other children were removed from the home in Vermilion and four were hospitalized.

Authorities have said many of the children have physical or mental disabilities.

___

Information from: Sandusky Register, http://www.sanduskyregister.com/cgi-bin/liveique.acgi$sch=frontpage?frontpage

Print
Email
|