Hydrogen cyanide leak prompts evacuations at PAML Spokane

SPOKANE, Wash. -- A hydrogen cyanide leak prompted evacuations at PAML Spokane Wednesday night.

Spokane Fire Department crews were called to the area around 10:30 p.m. Wednesday. They remained on scene until around 4:30 a.m. Thursday. 

Crews struggled to find the source of the chemical leak at first, but ultimately found a bad battery that was leaking the chemical. Hydrogen cyanide exposure typically causes respiratory problems and, in cases of long exposure, can be fatal, according to fire officials. 

Spokane Fire officials said no employees were exposed to the chemical long enough to suffer long-term health issues. No employees were injured in the incident. 

© 2017 KREM-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment
TRENDING VIDEOS