Recently installed smoke alarms alert local family to danger

Spokane Valley, Wash. —  A father, his teenage daughter and their family cat safely escaped a fire in their home on Monday thanks to smoke alarms recently installed by the Spokane Valley Fire Department.

According to SVFD officials, the fire broke out in the daughters unoccupied bedroom.  Crews quickly extinguished the fire and determined it was caused by an old wall outlet. 

SVFD Batallion Chief Schaffer said the family has been asked to not stay at the home tonight and the Red Cross will be taking care of them.

SVFD officials said a team of firefighters installed five smoke alarms in the home as part of a campaign with the American Red Cross Northwest Region.  Prior to the installation, the home did not have any working smoke alarms.

According to a release from SVFD, the one-day campaign resulted in 305 smoke alarms installed in 95 homes by 43 volunteers and on-duty crews.

In the release, SVFD officials said they want to remind everyone about the importance of smoke alarms.

SVFD officials said smoke alarms over 10 years old should be replaced and alarms are recommended to be placed in every bedroom on every level of a home.

© 2017 KREM-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment
TRENDING VIDEOS