Dog saved from house fire in Coeur d'Alene by neighbor, who was just taking out the trash

KREM 2's Taylor Viydo talks to a family that almost lost their dog to a house fire on Tuesday

KOOTENAI COUNTY, Idaho --- A Coeur d’Alene family is thanking one of their neighbors who saved their dog from their burning house on Tuesday.

The neighbor, Patrick Stedman, was taking out his garbage when he saw flames coming from the garage.

“I knew they had kids and stuff, so I ran up to see if anybody was home,” said Stedman.

When he opened the door he did not find any people, he found Derby, the family’s 14-year-old Yorkie and Maltese mix. Stedman got Derby out of the house and to safety. The dog was not in the garage or near the flames, but the part of the home the dog was in was starting to get smoky.

Raniel and Erne Diaz are the dog’s owners, and they were out on a boat ride when the fire started. They were gone for almost an hour when they got a call that their home was on fire said Raniel. Their first thoughts were about their dog, and that someone needed to get him out of the house.

Luckily their neighbor saw the flames early and reacted quickly to do what he could to help.

“He went looking for everyone and he found Derby and got him out of there quick. It was amazing. It’s great to have great neighbors,” said Raniel.

The Diaz family has not met Stedman face to face yet, but they say they are looking forward to thanking him in person.

The Diaz’s said the house is just a possession and they are glad that both of them and their dog are safe.

© 2017 KREM-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment
TRENDING VIDEOS