SPOKANE-- Saturday marks the 74th anniversary of the annual Armed Forces Torchlight Parade in Spokane, the largest of its kind in the country.
The Lilac Parade kicks off at 7:45 p.m. in downtown Spokane. It will include bands, floats, military members and more.
Going out for the parade? Take a look at your forecast.
This year’s them is “Dream and Reach for the Stars.” Organizers say it is a tribute to those who defend the unique American Dream, as well as a challenge to our youth to reach high and follow their dreams.
Saturday’s events include:
- 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. RDML Kovacich and RDML Asbjornsen at Lilac Festival Car Show
- 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. Navy Band performance at Riverfront Park
- 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. Simulator and Suburban at Riverfront Park – Gondola Meadow
- 6:00 p.m. U.S. Navy EA-6B Prowler fly-over (best view from Riverfront Park)
- 6:00 p.m. – 7:45 p.m. Navy Band performance at Riverfront Park
- 7:45 p.m. Spokane Lilac Festival Armed Forces Torchlight Parade
CRUIZIN' THE FALLS CAR SHOW
The following streets will be closed on May 19, from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. for the car show:
- Spokane Falls Boulevard from Stevens to Post streets
- Main Ave. and Spokane Falls Blvd. from Wall to Howard streets
- Mission Avenue from Upriver Drive to S. Riverton St. will be reduced to one lane of traffic from 7:20 a.m. to 1 p.m. Motorists are asked to drive with caution while runners are on the road.
LILAC FESTIVAL ARMED FORCES TORCHLIGHT
These streets on the parade route will be closed from 4:30 to 11 p.m. or later:
- Washington Street from Boone to First avenues
- Spokane Falls Boulevard from Browne to Lincoln streets
The remaining streets on the parade route will be closed from 5:30 to 11 p.m. or later:
- Main, Riverside, Sprague, and First avenues from Browne to Lincoln streets.
- Post, Wall, Howard, Washington, and Stevens streets from Second Avenue to Spokane Falls Boulevard
These are the best north-south routes through downtown during the Parade:
- Hamilton, Division, Monroe, and Maple streets.
- The River Park Square Parking Garage can be accessed from Lincoln Street at Main Avenue