SPOKANE, Wash.-- A four-year-old boy who started a fire at a Spokane South Hill home will go through a program designed to teach children the dangers of fire.
It is part of the Spokane Fire Department’s Fire Stoppers Program. The class is designed to teach kids about the danger of fire so they aren't tempted to play with it again.
The little boy had been playing with a lighter when he accidentally lit the home on fire. One man went to the hospital for smoke inhalation but no one else was hurt. The department wanted to make sure the boy learned his lesson.
“It can be very serious; they could lose their toys, or hurt their dog or their cat. They can hurt people in their family and they didn’t mean to do that,” said Jan Doherty of the Spokane Fire Department.
The program is open to children ranging from pre-school to high school. The department said about half of the children in the program started fires by accident; the other half set them intentionally.
The program is free.