SPOKANE -- Spokane Fire crews responded to a KinderCare Learning Center at 3201 East 26th Ave on the South Hill Monday morning after a natural gas smell was detected.
The daycare asked parents to pick up their children if they were able to. The children and staff members evacuated to a church across the street for approximately one hour during the investigation.
Firefighters say the daycare recently had a heat pump replaced and there was some residue left in the pipes, which caused the smell. Avista power crews were called in to get it capped off.
Children and staff were able to return to the daycare around 11:45 a.m.