SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash-- Homeowners in the neighborhood where glass tainted hamburger meat was found Thursday take extra precautionary measures to protect their animals.
Witness Mike Hemmerling was in the garage smoking a cigarette when he saw a suspicious man drop something in his yard near Sipple and Buckeye. He said he waited as the man proceeded to reach over his neighbor’s fence.
Hemmerling said he was immediately worried about his girlfriend’s dogs when he saw the hamburger meat.
“I was yelling, ‘Watch the dogs! Watch the dogs!’” he said. “We take a closer look at the ground beef and it has glass all through it. It was kind of upsetting.”
Hemmerling alerted his neighbors and the authorities.
Luckily, none of the neighborhood dogs were hurt, but the person of interest is still on the loose and neighbors are uneasy.
One neighbor, David Lara said he is planning to put up surveillance cameras to protect his dog in the future.
The Spokane County Regional Animal Protective Service director said she has never seen anything like this in 20 years of work. The last time someone put poisoned meat in peoples’ yards, one dog died.
Anyone with information on this case is asked to call SCRAPS at (509) 477-2532.