SPOKANE, Wash.-- Health officials in Washington and Idaho issued a warning Wednesday that a recent E. coli outbreak could be linked to raw clover sprouts from an Idaho producer.
Five of the cases came from Spokane County and three others from Kootenai County according to the Washington State Health Department. Health officials said five of the patients were hospitalized with the illness, but no one had died from this outbreak.
The producer in question distributed sprouts to several Inland Northwest food establishments including Jimmy John’s Gourmet Sandwiches, two Pita Pit locations and Daanen’s Deli. The specific restaurants linked to the E. coli outbreaks voluntarily stopped serving sprouts according to public health officials.
Public health officials began investigating sprouts produced by Evergreen Fresh Sprouts after linking them to seven confirmed and three probable cases of E. coli.
Nine of the ten people infected reportedly ate raw clover sprouts within ten days before getting sick. Health officials said most people recover within five to seven days of being infected with the STEC 0121 strain of E. coli in this outbreak.
Symptoms of the illness include fever, diarrhea, vomiting and severe abdominal cramps, which can be life-threatening in young children and elderly people. Public health officials advised anyone who recently consumed raw clover sprouts seek medical attention.