SPOKANE, Wash.--Families were starting over Monday after a fire ripped through their North Spokane apartment complex Sunday night. A fire at the Pine Villa Apartments off Country Homes Boulevard jumped quickly from room to room and caused extensive damage to multiple units.
The fire put 19 people out of a home, including a single mother and her twin babies.
"I looked out the window and I saw a little bit of smoke along the side of the building,” said fire victim Mandi Haggard.
Witnesses said the fire that ripped through the complex started in a bush. The fire destroyed four units, including Haggard’s downstairs apartment. It was the 22-year-old’s first home.
"I started crying, I didn't know what to do. I just grabbed the girls and I left,” said Haggard.
Haggard was forced to leave everything inside.
"I have cans and cans of formulas that probably could have lasted a couple of months. And now that's all gone,” said Haggard.
Memories she would never get back were also left inside.
"I keep a memory box from their time in the NICU,” said Haggard.
Haggard said what really mattered was that her twin six-month-old daughters were fine. She said Brooke and Bailey were her miracle babies. They are rare mono mono twins. That means they shared the same placenta. Doctors had told Haggard there was a change the babies would not make it.
"I spent half of my pregnancy terrified not knowing if I would have two babies or not,” said Haggard.
Haggard said her daughters survived twice in her eyes.
Haggard said she planned to live with her sister and focus on her babies that she cannot replace.
"I want to enjoy the time I have with them and I'm just glad it wasn't cut short,” said Haggard.
The fire remained under investigation on Monday.
Haggard is collecting donations for her and her children.
CONNECT: Donate to the Haggard and her twins