Gas line under fire pit bursts creating backyard fireball

Print
Email
|

by KREM.com

KREM.com

Posted on May 10, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Updated Sunday, May 11 at 8:23 AM

SPOKANE, Wash.—Fire officials said a natural gas line broke in a resident’s backyard in North Spokane Saturday night.

It happened near Alberta and W. Queen. Fire officials said a backyard campfire melted and breached the plastic gas line that serviced the home. The gas line exploded, sending flames 15 feet into the air according firefighters.

The residents of the house said they were unaware of the gas line. They reported having 15 people over for a birthday party when the explosion created an intense gas fed fire.

First responders said one man was taken to the hospital after he fainted, possibly due to the intensity of the event. Witnesses reported another man leaving the scene with minor burns.

Avista came to the house Saturday night to turn the gas line off.

Fire crews said there was no damage done to the home. The residents were allowed to return to the home without natural gas service until the line could be rerouted.
   
Alberta and Olympic were shut down for several blocks to the North on Saturday night.

Fire officials said this incident was a reminder of the importance of locating utilities before digging.

Print
Email
|