SPOKANE, Wash. -- Employees and customers had to evacuate a Walmart in North Spokane Monday night after a natural gas leak inside the store.
Firefighters said the leak was reported around 10 p.m. The first crews on scene located the natural gas connections to the building and shut them off. Firefighters evacuated everyone from the store.
The building was ventilated to remove the natural gas. Avista assisted in isolating the broken gas line and soon restored natural gas to the rest of the building. The building was declared safe for employees and customers within an hour.
Investigators said the leak was caused by a fork lift that made contact with a supply line going to a heater.
The leak resulted in an estimated $3,000 loss for the store.