SPOKANE, Wash. -- Several pets died in a house fire in the Garland District early Thursday morning.
Firefighters responded to a home on W. Garland Ave. and N. Lindeke around 2:30 a.m. The first crew on-scene reported smoke showing from the one-story, wood-framed structure. Officials said the fire sparked in the basement of the house.
Firefighters said two people sleeping in the basement were alerted to the fire by the activation of their smoke detector. They were able to escape the dense smoke and elevated heat conditions in the basement along with a third person who was sleeping on the main floor, according to investigators.
The fire was brought under control within 20 minutes, said authorities. Fire crews were on scene for approximately four hours to complete salvage and overhaul.
No injuries were reported to the home’s occupants but family members said their dog and five parrots in the home were killed. They also said some of the birds were around 20 years old.
Family members tell KREM 2 they think an electrical issue caused the fire. The fire was placed under investigation.
According to the Spokane Fire Department, heat and smoke damage resulted in an estimated $50,000 in losses.