SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. -- Firefighters quickly put out a fire early Friday at a home in Spokane Valley.
It happened around 5:30 a.m. on E. 31st near E. 30th, according to authorities.
A smoke detector alerted the family to the fire in the basement. A man attempted to put out the flames himself but was unsuccessful and called 911. He told 911 that smoke was filling the basement from some smoldering clothes in the laundry room. Meanwhile, the man, his wife and teenage daughter evacuated the home.
When fire crews arrived, they put out the fire and kept an eye on hot spots for a few hours. They also found the family’s cat, which had suffered some smoke inhalation. They were able to resuscitate the cat.
Due to heat and smoke damage, the family was unable to return to their home. However, they were able to stay with family members.
Firefighters did not release the cause of the fire.