Fire at Catholic Charities apartments sends three to hospital

Print
Email
|

by KREM.com

KREM.com

Posted on October 4, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Updated Friday, Oct 4 at 4:27 PM

SPOKANE, Wash. -- Three people were taken to the hospital early Friday after a fire in North Spokane.

It happened around 7:30 a.m. near the Catholic Charities “The O’Malley” residence at 707 E. Mission, near Dakota in the Gonzaga neighborhood. Firefighters said when crews arrived, smoke was pouring out of a third-floor balcony where residents had gathered to escape the smoke.

The flames were contained to a single third-floor unit, according to fire investigators.  The apartment was reportedly badly damaged.

The three patients were sitting up and conscious when medics took them to the hospital.  Five residents at The O'Malley were treated at the scene for symptoms of smoke inhalation.

The cause of the fire was determined by investigators to be accidental. Crews said a laundry basket was left on an electric stovetop that had been accidentally turned on. The fire that ensued spread vertically to cabinets throughout the unit.

The damage was limited to the one unit, but smoke damaged much of the third floor balcony according to fire officials.

 

Print
Email
|