Family in 'disbelief' after childhood home burns to ashes

Print
Email
|

by KREM.com

KREM.com

Posted on April 9, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Updated Wednesday, Apr 9 at 8:41 AM

HAYDEN, Idaho. -- A North Idaho family was left picking up the pieces Tuesday after a fire gutted their home.

The fire happened Monday morning in Hayden. The fire was thought to be over after crews left in the afternoon, but flames rekindled and damaged even more of the house.

READ: Benevolent fund set up for Hayden family after house fire

KREM 2 News was told the woman that lived in the home and raised her family there also grew up in that same home.

"I was in complete disbelief and I was like, no you're joking,” said Felicia Williams, the woman’s daughter.

Crews were able to rescue several pets but a cat and a fish were killed.

Everyone thought the fire was out until later in the afternoon when another family member began to see flames once again.

"And she's like, ‘it's on fire again.’  And I’m back in CDA and I'm like ‘no way. This can't be happening’," said Williams.

The second round of fire caused even more damage and caused the ceilings to collapse. Williams said the home is a total loss and will likely be torn down.

"When I saw the ridge on fire, I knew this was it. That was the end of it. I mean that I knew my mom had lost everything. I mean this property. She grew up here. And I grew up here. And this was everything that she had,” said Williams.

Williams’ mom is staying with her.
 
It is believed the fire was started by a dryer.

Williams’ mom did not have insurance for the home. A benevolent fund has been set up in her name. The fund was established at the Hayden branch of Wells Fargo Bank. Donations may be made at any Wells Fargo branch by mentioning the “Evelyn Scrabeck benefit donation account.”

Print
Email
|