Family claims the system failed Deaconess shooting victim



Posted on July 10, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Updated Saturday, Jul 12 at 5:09 PM

SPOKANE, Wash.--The father of the woman shot and killed at the Rockwood Cancer Treatment Center at Deaconess Hospital on Tuesday claimed the system failed his daughter.

Officials said Sheena Henderson, 30, died from multiple gunshot wounds after her husband, 37-year-old Christopher Henderson, shot and killed her at the hospital.

Sheena Henderson’s dad said she loved her kids and was born to help people.
“My daughter was the most amazing person you could ever meet. She had a heart of gold,” said Sheena Henderson’s dad, Gary Kennison. “When she walked into the room, it just lit up, she lifted it up to the sky. She just made everyone around her happy.”

READ: Gun returned to Deaconess shooter one day before killing

Christopher Henderson was given back his gun the day before the deadly shooting.  In May, officers with the Spokane Police Department took a gun from Christopher Henderson following a call from his wife. Sheena Henderson said her husband was suicidal and threatening suicide by cop, according to authorities.

“There was nothing more important to her in her life than her two beautiful children. Now, due to this tragedy... those two kids are without parents,” said Kennison.

Sheena Henderson’s dad said the system failed them. He said he wished his daughter had been notified that Christopher Henderson picked up his gun. Sheena Henderson’s dad and uncle wanted to work on some kind of legislation that requires officials to notify family members when formally confiscated weapons are released back to their owners. They said they did not want any other family to endure their pain.

READ: Deaconess murder-suicide shooting leaves 2 dead

“I believe the system has failed. If someone has suicidal tendencies, any weapons they have taken shouldn't be returned to them for one year,” said Kennison. “Had we known what he was up to just prior to this brutal act that took our daughter away, we could have protected her.”

Witnesses said Christopher Henderson walked into a lab area, where Sheena worked, with what looked like a pistol and ambushed her. Witnesses said they heard six shots fired. They described the killing as 'cold' and 'targeted.' The shooting was reportedly carried out 'execution'-style. Christopher Henderson also shot and killed himself on Tuesday.