SPOKANE – Eastern Washington University women’s basketball coach Wendy Schuller doubles as a mother. Her youngest child, Brandon, 2, was born with Down Syndrome.
Schuller has been taking Brandon to the Spokane Guilds’ School twice a week for two hours ever since he was about 10 weeks old. From there, he’s learned to hold his head up, sit, walk – and become the very active young toddler he is today
The Schullers have learned sign language to communicate with Brandon every day, since his verbal skills will come later.
Schuller said the Guild School has given them so many resources they wouldn’t have had otherwise, but perhaps the biggest gift is hope.
“Everything is so positive,” Schuller said. “We set a goal last year: he’s gonna be walking before his second birthday. And he was walking before his second birthday because he worked hard and the people worked hard, we worked hard as a family and we all believed he could do it.”
On Saturday, Schuller and the entire Eagle women’s basketball team will be standing on the edge of the Eastern Washington University campus in Cheney asking for your donations for the “Kids for Kids” Penny Drive, which benefits the Spokane Guilds’ School.
2013 Donation Drop-Off Sites Location
- Washington Trust Bank/Wandermere 438 E. Hastings Rd.
- Spokane Guilds’ School 2118 W. Garland Ave.
- Country Homes Blvd/Wall Intersection
- Francis/Nevada Intersection
- Francis/Ash/Maple Intersection
- Mission & Hamilton Intersection
- Monroe/Indiana/Northwest Blvd. Intersection
- Liberty Lake Safeway & Albertson’s (1233 N. Liberty Lake Rd.)
- Sullivan & Sprague Walgreen’s Parking Lot
- 57th/Regal/Inland NW Bank Intersection
- Windermere Real Estate/Manito 29th & Grand
- Cheney Masonic Lodge 106 College Ave., Cheney
- Deer Park Double Eagle Pawn Parking Lot