SPOKANE, Wash. -- Flames damaged an apartment Monday morning non the 100 block of N Bernard.
The caller told emergency dispathers the alarm was sounding in the apartment and there was smoke in the hallway on the second floor.
Firefighters evacuated everyone and found an unconscious dog. Initially, fire dispatchers confirmed that a dog died. However firefighters later said that the dog survived. Crews carried the dog outside where it began breathing again. Firefighters said the dog then ran off down the street.
SpokAnimal responded to the scene.
Officals say the fire was quickly extinguished and crews spent over an hour removing the smoke from the building.
Firefighters say the fire was accidental and was caused by electical cords running under an area rug. The area rugs were located in a heavily traveled part of the unit and over time the cords became exposed. The exposed cord allowed an arc, spark, or resistive heating to spark the fire.
The fire was confined to one unit and left smoke damage throughout the second floor.
No one was injured.