SPOKANE, Wash.--Less than 48 hours after a woman told KREM 2 News she had a broken furnace on Monday and there was nowhere to turn, she had heat again Wednesday night.
A North Spokane mother contacted KREM 2 News because even with a broken furnace, her natural gas bill skyrocketed.
Avista said they were doing an audit Wednesday to find out why the woman’s natural gas bill increased. Following, KREM 2 News’ story, someone else stepped up to help the family.
RDI Heating out of Coeur d’Alene saw the story and wanted to help. Ken Oveson has been in heating for 30 years.
“We love being able to help out in situations like this,” said Oveson.
As soon as Oveson heard about Janel Whittaker he contacted KREM 2 News. Whittaker’s furnace was cut off and red tagged after a natural gas leak in early December. She relied on space heaters ever since to keep her family warm.
Then RDI stepped into the picture and donated and installed a brand new, 95% high efficiency furnace.
Oveson’s team installed new ductwork and outfitted Whittaker’s home with carbon monoxide detectors to make sure they are never in a dangerous situation again.
“There are 20-30-thousand carbon monoxide incidents each year in this country. And of those, 500 people die,” said Oveson.
After two months without, the heat came back on Wednesday.
“Knowing that we're going to have heat is emotional, and the kindness of people from the bottom of their hearts is just a really special thing,” said Whittaker. “We're really excited, and really thankful.”
RDI even hauled away the old furnace.
If you like what RDI Heating is doing, you can like them here on Facebook.