SPOKANE, Wash. -- A fire at a north Spokane park prompted a bomb scare in a north Spokane park overnight.
A neighbor noticed someone trying to break into the A.M. Cannon Park pool area in the 1900 block of West Maxwell around 1 a.m. Wednesday. That person called 911 to report seeing sparks, but the caller said it was too dark to see what the suspect looked like.
Officers did not find anyone near the pool but noticed something smoking near a park bench. The object then burst into flames. Police thought it could be an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) and set up a perimeter several hundred feet away from the fire.
The fire department and bomb unit responded to the scene. The object burned for 35 minutes before technicians neutralized it. Emergency responders stayed on scene for hours.
No one was hurt, but the bench was badly burned.
Crews are determining what the IED was. Investigators have not yet named any suspects.