LIND, Wash. -- A candle caused a fire deadly fire February 20th according to investigators in Adams County. The fire killed a 3-year-old girl who was napping at a home along 2nd Street.
Authorities released details from their investigation on Monday.
The report stated that a candle sitting on top of a dresser caused the fire. Investigators said that the candle was surrounded by a box of disposable diapers and clothing. The house also contained no smoke detectors according to the report.
Firefighters arrived on the scene of the fire around 6:30 p.m.
Authorities said that the little girl suffered severe burns. She was taking a nap when in an upstairs bedroom when the fire began. The little girl’s father smelled smoke and noticed that the upstairs of the home was on fire. He yelled for everyone to get outside said investigators.
The report stated that the mother tried to save the toddler. However, heat and smoke made her unable to reach the child according to authorities. The mother suffered burns to her face and hands.
The little girl was transported to Ritzville Hospital and then to Sacred Heart Medical Center Medical Center in Spokane. The girl died Thursday morning.