MOSCOW, Idaho -- People living in a mobile home park near Moscow, Idaho have not been able to drink water from the tap for more than one month. They claimed they are being told it is not even safe to drink when boiled.
Early in December, tenants living in Syringa Mobile Home Park received a boil order after their water pressure dropped. Officials at the Idaho Department of Environmental Quality tells KREM 2 News that a couple of pumps to the park’s well malfunctioned.
Later in the month, the DEQ notified the tenants that it is not safe to drink the water even when boiled. Officials said boiling water in this case would raise the concentration of lead in the water.
DEQ Engineering Manager Michael Camin said adding to the park’s problem is a water disinfection system that is either putting too much chlorine in the water of not enough, making it unsafe to drink.
The department has issued a warning to the parks owner identifying actions that he must take to bring the water system up to par or face legal action.
A couple actions include maintaining proper water pressure and bringing the disinfection system up to code. Camin said similar design and construction of that system could take up to six months or longer.
The new park manager said she is working aggressively to resolve the problem.