PORTLAND -- Justin Wilcox no longer smokes cigarettes. He relaxes with e-cigarettes. When he is finished with the e-juice, containing liquid nicotine, he stores it in a carrying case, out of the reach of his 4-year-old son.
"It's out of sight, out of mind," said Wilcox. "If I keep the case closed and locked up he's not going to touch it."
What works for the Wilcox family does not work for every family.
Figures just released by Oregon and Washington poison centers highlight an alarming problem. Kids are getting their hands on e-juice. Since 2010, more than 130 kids were poisoned by it.
"They either got it on their skin and are ingesting it through their skin or they're actually ingesting the product," said Jim Williams of the Washington Poison Centers.
"What the studies have shown is that there is a wide variability of what's in the product versus what the product states is in it," added Scott Neal of the King County Public Health Department.
E-juice poisoning can lead to nausea or vomiting. It has yet to lead to death.
Justin Wilcox is happy to hear that, but he still plans to be safe when vaping.
"These kids are my life," he said. "I would never bring anything around them that was dangerous or potentially hazardous."
If you think your child has been poisoned by e-juice you are urged to contact a poison center immediately.